Select Page

How do eggs benefit someone on a Keto Diet? They are probably one of the more perfect keto food items on the menu.  Not only are they one of the most nutritious foods,  they only require some additional fat to make a perfect, Keto balanced meal!

This makes eggs one of the best foods for any low-carb diet and with the incredible variety of uses and recipes, there is little worry about running out of ways to include them. Eggs are also very budget friendly and the cost versus nutrition value is unbelievable. 

A large egg is also less than 80 calories which means most of your calories will come from other parts of your meal or other meals.

So, just how good are eggs for you? Eggs are considered a nutritionally complete food, so it is actually possible to sustain your body on eggs and water alone, not that I would suggest it. I will provide the nutritional details below. 

Eggs make a flavorful addition when included in your meal plan and shouldn’t be overlooked. It can also be used as a great snack. I love devilled eggs if I’m feeling like I need a little something.

Now you are probably asking yourself, what about cholesterol? It turns out that your liver actually producers most of the cholesterol your body needs and dietary consumption of eggs has no affect in 70% of people and the remaining 30% only minimally contributes to your overall cholesterol levels.  

Despite the good news regarding dietary cholesterol, the research is still ongoing.  There is still data that indicates, consuming an excess of 300mgs of cholesterol on a daily basis may affect your overall heart health.  So enjoy eggs and feel good about how healthy they are, but don’t go having 3 egg omelettes on an every day basis.

What about egg whites? Although, egg whites do contain a good nutritional value, it turns out that some of the most important nutrition is in the yolk, so enjoy the entire egg and reap the benefits from brain health to joints and skin health.

Eggs contain essential nutrients and have many health benefits.  Other benefits of the incredible Eggs are:

  • The egg yolks are rich in healthy fats, good cholesterol, protein, iron and other minerals
  • One whole egg is less than 80 calories and very filling as a snack
  • Good source of Lutein (for heart and eyes)
  • Source of naturally occurring Vitamin D
  • Rich in phosphorous (for bones and teeth)
  • Rich in zinc for immune support
  • Excellent source of Vitamin A for eye health and immune support
  • Can provide about 30% of choline requirement. (for brain health)

 Here is the nutrition values of 2 large boiled eggs according to the USDA (% Daily Value is in brackets):

  • Calories: 155
  • Fat: 11g (16%)
  • Saturated fat: 3.3g (16%)
  • Polyunsaturated: 1.4g
  • Monounsaturated: 4.1g
  • Cholesterol 373g (124%)
  • Sodium 124g (5%)
  • Potassium 126g (3%)
  • Total Carbohydrates 1.1g
  • Protein 13g
  • Vitamin A (10%)
  • Calcium (5%)
  • Vitamin D (21%)
  • Cobalamin (18%)
  • Iron (6%)
  • Vitamin B6 (5%)
  • Magnesium (2%)

What about organic, cage free and regular cheap eggs? 

The health of the hen that laid the egg can, in fact, affect the nutritional value of an egg, similar to the nutritional value of the fats in meat. 

As an example, the balance of omega 3 and omega 6 in organic cage free eggs is extremely healthy for the human body, but caged hens have a measurably higher concentration of omega 6 and lower concentration of omega 3.

Always try to choose healthier organic and cage free products, especially when choosing diary or meat since they are almost always healthier for you.